Sayler Park, at Gracely and Monitor Avenues, perpetuates the name of Nelson Sayler, an early settler who gave much of his time and means to the welfare of his community. The 2.068-acre park became city property when the Village of Sayler Park was annexed to Cincinnati in 1911. A tornado on April 3, 1974 caused great damage to the village. Fifty-two trees were lost, two stone benches were destroyed as well as lawn areas and concrete park paths. This little park was used as the staging area for emergency efforts, causing additional damage to the area. In October of that year, the Park Board planted more than 90 flowering and shade trees as the first step in the restoration and renovation of the tornado-ravaged park. Fortunately, some of the magnificent large trees were spared and through Federal Community Development Block Grant funds. Renovation included new interior walks, lighting and floral bed displays.