28 Apr It’s Electric! CincyParks Receives its First Electric Lawn Mower
Posted at 13:47h in Uncategorized
April is the month for honoring our natural environment. Last week the world came together to celebrate Earth Day, and this Friday we will observe Arbor Day.
How are we celebrating the earth this month, year and into the future? One way is by introducing this new electric/solar lawn mower built right here in Southwest Ohio.
The Office of Environment and Sustainability and Cincinnati Public Services recently delivered it to Cincinnati Parks staff at Mt. Echo Park. This is a huge step toward making our city greener and here are some reasons why:
- It is better for parks visitors. The electric mower is significantly quieter than a traditional gas mower leading to quieter parks. Also being that it doesn’t have gas, visitors will not be impacted by the gasoline smell as they would be with a traditional mower
- It is manufactured locally. This mower is manufactured in Ross Ohio. The Cincinnati Parks are supporting local businesses
- It can do the job. With an 8 hour run time, and a solar range extender it can perform the way it needs.
- It has significant environmental attributes. Lawn mowers typically do not have all the exhaust technology found on an automobile so inherently, they are greater contributors to greenhouse gasses
- It meets Councils goals. One of City Council’s goal is to have a fully electrified fleet (yes mowers count) by 2035
- It is the initial push for us to acquire more electric mowers in the future. Overall, it would be couched as a pilot program with the hope to roll out more once it’s been fully tested.
We are excited to introduce this new electric lawn mower into the Parks, which is an important initial step in the right direction to bettering our natural environment.