Inwood park, 19.898 acres, is located on Vine Street about two miles from the heart of downtown Cincinnati. The original land was once an old stone quarry and the first land acquired for the park was in 1904. The most noted feature is the lake. The main play area is on the east side of Vine Street, south of Hollister Street, where there is a large pavilion, a children’s wading pool and a swimming pool. Built circa 1910, the pavilion is one of the earliest buildings existing in Cincinnati’s parks. Another feature of interest is the granite boulder monument unveiled in 1911, in honor of Friedrich Ludwig Jahn (1778-1852), the man who inaugurated gymnastic fields and playgrounds. Jahn was often called Turnvater (Father of Gymnastics) and is credited with introducing such devices as the horizontal bar, balance beam, and the parallel bars.
2326 Vine St.
Cincinnati, OH, 45219
- Picnic Area
- Comfort Station/Restrooms
Inwood Park (Mt. Auburn)
- Pavilion: Inwood Park originated with the purchase of an old stone quarry in 1904. Built circa 1910, the pavilion is one of the earliest buildings extant in Cincinnati’s parks. It’s an excellent example of the Mission style.
- Friedrich Ludwig Jahn Memorial: This sculpture by Leopold Fettweis features a white marble portrait bust of Jahn (1778-1852) inset into a large gray granite slab, into which an oak tree was carved. Jahn was honored as the “turnvater” or father of gymnastics and playgrounds.